Chateau Haut Goujon Lalande de Pomerol 2012

Chateau Haut Goujon Lalande de Pomerol 2012
 

Wine of the Month

Chateau Haut Goujon Lalande de Pomerol 2012

On the right bank of Bordeaux lies Pomerol. An area with a very different grape composition as opposed to the left bank. The famous Cabernet Sauvignon grape has always played a leading role in most of Bordeaux with Merlot coming in second, or even third; In Pomerol however, it is all turned around. The usually plump and fruity Merlot grape really shines in Pomerol where it gives both structure and complexity to the wines. There is a lot of focus on producing single varietal wines from 100% Merlot here, This is also the case with Chateau Haut Goujon, who also uses a majority of Merlot in their wines.

01-château-haut-goujon.jpg

Chateau Haut Goujon is a rather new endeavour compared to many of the other old Chateaux in Bordeaux, who often stretches back to the 18th and 19th century. Chateau Haut Goujon started planting their vineyards early in the 20th century, and it all started with 6 hectares of merlot. Today, four generations later they own 18 hectares of vine spread between the two right bank appelations "Lalande de Pomerol" and "Montagne Saint-Emilion", and its all managed by the two brothers Mickaël and Vincent and their sister Corinne Garde.

7396 haut goujon (5).jpg

The family values has always been a high focus on the reflection of terroir and high standards of quality, and the siblings are determined to maintain this focus after they took over the reins.

chateau-haut-goujon-vendanges-manuelles-3-460x360.jpg

About the wine

The vines with an average age of 25-30 years, are grown on a soil dominated by clay and gravel. The wine is a Merlot dominated blend where Merlot stands for 85% and Cabernet Sauvignon is the remaining 15%, this can vary depending on the vintage.

The wine is fermented with a high degree of skin contact for 25 days in concrete vats. Then stored for 12-14 months in 50% new French oak barrels. The wine is then stored for 3 years in bottle to mature before sale.


Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 22.38.39.png

Chateau Haut-Goujon, Lalande de Pomerol 2012

Dominated by ripe dark berries and plums on the nose, with sutble hints of vanilla and liquorice. The wine has a very firm and gripping mouthfeel with flavours of dark mocca on the palate together with a bold and intense finish.

Pairs with: Lamb, beef and game

Drink: 6-8 years

Producer: Chateau Haut-Goujon

Country: Bordeaux

Region: Pomerol

Marius has worked in several parts of the wine business for the last 16 years. He is currently working as a Category Coordinator for wine and spirits in the Travel Retail business. He is also a part of a tasting panel for the financial newspaper in Norway and writes articles and lectures in his spare time.Marius has a huge passion and dedication for the wine and spirits industry. He is a certified Sommelier and is currently undertaking the WSET Diploma in wines and spirits education.